'Coverup' investigation after city hospital patient 'set on fire' during surgery

New York Post, May 8, 2012

The chief of surgery at New York City's Lincoln Hospital "set a patient on fire" during an operation, causing severe burns on the man's neck and chest, The Post has learned. Dr. Jay Yelon was performing a tracheotomy on April 19 when his electronic scalpel, which gives off tiny sparks, came close to the patient’s oxygen supply, igniting a "minor explosion," hospital insiders say. Before the fire was extinguished, unconscious Enrique Ruiz suffered second-degree burns on his neck and chest. Sources at the South Bronx hospital charge a whitewash, saying Yelon failed to mention the patient's burns in a post-surgery report; he claimed the flames were extinguished with "no danger to the patient."


MOST POPULAR

SPONSORED REPORTS
SPONSORED HEADLINES

SIGN UP

FREE e-Newsletters Join the Council Subscribe to HL magazine

SPONSORSHIP & ADVERTISING

100 Winners Circle Suite 300
Brentwood, TN 37027

800-727-5257

About | Advertise | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Reprints/Permissions | Contact
© HealthLeaders Media 2014 a division of BLR All rights reserved.