Opinion: What's the role of a hospital in 10 years?
Dr. Eric Topol was named #1 Most Influential Physician Executive in Healthcare of 2012 by Modern Healthcare so his views are closely watched. In addition to his role as a cardiologist, geneticist and author of the Creative Destruction of Medicine, he's also the Editor-in-Chief of Medscape (WebMD's leading physician offering). Every health system CEO I've spoken with readily admits that we've essentially had a hospital building bubble with an over-capacity of 40-50% of hospital beds as we shift from the "do more, bill more" fee-for-service system to the "no outcome, no income" fee-for-value era.
- Look Beyond Nurse-Patient Ratios
- Reform Puts Vise Grips on Physicians
- Medicare Opt-Out a Viable Physician Strategy
- Hospital Groups Back NQF Report on Patient Sociodemographics
- NPP Demand Rising Under Value-Based Care Models
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- Esther Dyson Launches Population Health Challenge
- Boston Marathon Bombing Yields Lessons for Hospitals
- The Flourishing Medical Tourism Business in America
- Physicians as Economic Powerhouses and Tech Laggards