Opinion: Revealing a healthcare secret (the price)
The Surgery Center of Oklahoma is an ambulatory surgical center in Oklahoma City owned by its roughly 40 surgeons and anesthesiologists. What makes it different from every other such facility in America is this: If you need an anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, you will know beforehand — because it's on their Web site — that it costs $6,990 if you self-pay in advance. If you need a tonsillectomy, that's $3,600. Repair of a simple closed nasal fracture: $1,900. These prices are all-inclusive. Keith Smith, the co-founder of the center, said that it had been posting prices for the last 4 of its 16 years.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- Ebola: Second TX Nurse Diagnosed After Improper Protective Gear Application
- Providers Ask HHS to Address EHR Interoperability Barriers
- 5 Digital Marketing Efforts Every Hospital Should Try
- The Drug Price Reform Debate
- 16 Medicare Advantage Plans Earn 5-Star Ratings
- Ebola: A Call for Designated Hospitals