Hospital Compare Adds Infection, Stroke, Readmissions Data
The latest update to the federal website that reports hospital quality data adds rates of stroke, C. diff and MRSA infections, blood clot prevention and care measures and expanded readmissions data.
Several new and important hospital quality measures, including indicators of stroke and blood clot care as well as hospitals' rates of C. diff and MRSA infections, are now being tracked on the federal Hospital Compare website.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services tracks more than 4,000 acute care facilities and updates the site quarterly, but due to the government shutdown in October, among other reasons, this week's update is the first for the site in several major areas since July.
In addition to heart attack care, heart failure care, pneumonia care, surgical care, emergency department care, preventive care and children's asthma care, The Hospital Compare website now tracks the following measures under the heading of "timely and effective care":
Blood Clot Prevention and Care
Three measures of blood clot prevention care, for example the percentage of patients who received treatment to prevent blood clots on the day of or day after hospital admission or surgery, and three measures of blood clot treatment care, for example the percentage of patients who received recommended treatment of two different blood thinner medications at the same time are now posted on the site.
Eight new measures gauge a hospital's quality of care to patients with stroke, both to minimize the initial event and to prevent complications.
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- CDC Warns of Antibiotic Overuse in Hospitals
- Care Coordination Tough to Define, Measure
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- HIMSS: Software Bugs, Shifting Alliances Unsettling for CIOs
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- SCOTUS Review of NC Board Case 'A Very Big Deal' to Providers
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- AHRQ: Surgical Admissions Bring 48% of Hospital Revenue
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT