NFP Groups Release CA Patient Experience Rankings
Payers, providers, patients, and the public can now view by medical group practice how consumers score California healthcare providers. The data has been compiled by three non-profit groups including Consumer Reports.
Any day now, physician groups with 100 or more eligible practitioners will see for the first time how their practices score nationally on patient experience when survey responses are uploaded to the federal website, Physician Compare.
But Consumer Reports, the California Healthcare Performance Information System (CHPI), and the California Healthcare Foundation this week beat CMS to the punch. The organizations released patient experience score rankings for more than 30,000 physicians in 170 practices in California. The project is similar to other smaller projects in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Massachusetts launched in 2012 and 2013.
Payers, providers, patients, and the public can now view—by medical group practice only—how consumers scored their California doctors on 19 questions, from how well the physician provided explanations, to whether clerks and receptionists exhibited courtesy and respect, to frequency of follow up care. Individual doctors' scores were not included in this report, but may come later.
"Our primary goal is to get physicians and practitioners to improve quality and for patients to put more emphasis on quality when they chose their physicians," says John Santa, MD, medical director of Consumer Reports Health. He adds that hospital executives and their provider teams should care about this as well, whether they own the physician group practices or not.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees