HIMSS 2008: Carrot and Stick Approach
Yet, through a combination of carrots and sticks, Partners is on course for 100 percent EMR adoption by its 6,000 affiliated physicians by the end of 2009. Partners CIO Cynthia Bero told hundreds of participants at the HIMSS conference that although physicians understand the benefits of clinical automation, giving them an option about which software to use was a major boost to the effort.
To facilitate physician participation, Partners negotiated pay-for-performance incentives from three managed care plans. The payers agreed to pool money from one year to the next, in the event a practice took longer than anticipated to implement. Partners also provided a "total cost of ownership" analysis to its community physicians. The fiscal analysis was tailored to individual practices. By demonstrating the long-term ROI of an IT investment, the organization helped allay physician fears, Bero observed. Leaning on local and regional physician leaders also helped.
In 2007, Partners added a stick to the various payer carrots it had dangled. It mandated EMR use by any new physician group joining its network, and later expanded the mandate to include all physicians. But physician acceptance has played out better than expected. Only 16 physicians out of some 1,100 primary care physicians opted to leave the network.
Bero's presentation was part of the 2008 HIMSS conference, which is taking place in Orlando this week.
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Cleveland Clinic Partners with North Shore-LIJ for Heart Care