AMA Launches Web-based Flu Assessment Program
The American Medical Association today launched a new Web-based program to improve patients' and physicians' communication and coordination of care for seasonal flu and the H1N1 virus. AMA is touting the Web site, AMAfluhelp.org, as the nation's first comprehensive Web-based patient flu health-assessment program.
"This resource allows patients to assess their symptoms and determine when to seek care for themselves or their loved ones," said Mary Anne McCaffree, MD, an AMA board member. "To prevent the spread of influenza, this site also helps determine when it is safe for those who have been sick to return to work or school."
The Web site asks patients questions to determine the severity of their flu symptoms based upon the latest CDC guidelines. Patients can share their information with their physician, as well as family members and loved ones. AMAfluhelp.org also provides a set of online tools to help physicians monitor their patients' symptoms, facilitate care and treatment decisions, and efficiently manage their practices' patient flow.
AMAfluhelp.org can help patients assess their own flu symptoms, or those of a child or loved one, and offer guidance on whether they should seek care. There is also a choice for pregnant women to evaluate their need for a flu vaccination and for all patients to monitor any post-vaccine related symptoms. AMAfluhelp.org can also generate a doctor's note when it is safe to return to work or school.
The Web site is in collaboration with the Flu Information & Care System, which includes: AllOne Health, BlueCross NEPA, CVS Caremark, EMSC, HealthyCircles, HERAE, Merck, MedImpact, Microsoft, Minute Clinic, Schumacher Group, Staywell/Krames, Team Health, and WorldDoc.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- 'Kafkaesque' Value System Unfairly Penalizes Doctor Pay
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- Targeting Self-Insured Populations
- 4 Crucial Tactics for Reining in Healthcare Cost
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- How, and Why, to Recruit Male Nurses