CCHIT Chair Announces Retirement
The organization that certifies electronic health records will soon search for a new chairman.
The Certification Commission for Health Information Technology announced today that Mark Leavitt, MD, PhD, is retiring from his position as chair of the commission on March 31, 2010.
"Having the privilege to launch and lead this volunteer-based, nonprofit organization has been one of the most rewarding and educational experiences of my life," said Leavitt.
CCHIT was founded five years ago and has been a federally recognized certifying body since 2006. It has certified more than 200 EHR products for doctors' offices, hospitals, and emergency rooms, which CCHIT said represents more than 85% of the market.
CCHIT opened applications for 2011 EHR certification in October that featured two pathways: maximum assurance of EHR capabilities for providers and one offering "maximum flexibility for technology innovations." CCHIT said it will announce the first products and technologies certified under the two new programs soon.
The CCHIT Board of Trustees said it will start a national search for a successor. CCHIT trustee Frank Trembulak, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Geisinger Health System, will chair the search committee, and a firm has been retained to conduct the search.
"The search for his successor will be open and transparent so we maintain the confidence of our many constituents," said H. Stephen Lieber, chair of the Board of Trustees.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT