High-tech Mannequins Give Nurses Real-life Experience
Many facilities across the nation are investing in state-of-the art technology that allows students and staff members to gain real life experience without the fear of killing a patient.
The high-tech mannequin, Sim Man 3G, costs roughly $27,000, but can cost up to $60,000 with additional accessories and programs available for download onto the mannequin. Even though many facilities have been forced to cut back on their programs and spending, the price of Sim Man 3G has not deterred facilities from purchasing the state-of-the-art technology.
Many facilities who have purchased the technology have received grants from organizations, such as the U.S. Department of Education, the RGK Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, to help fund the simulation training.
The University of Phoenix recently introduced its new, state-of-the-art SIM Man 3G "patient" mannequins as part of its new immersive learning-nursing center. The new learning center is part of the LPN and BSN degree programs, and the university plans to integrate it into other nursing degree programs as well.
A recent renovation to the 4,100-square-foot center has combined critical thinking, immersive learning, and the use of simulation training to provide students with the opportunity to learn and develop skills they will need for a future in nursing.
With the help of a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, the Grambling School of Nursing recently purchased the Sim Man 3G. Grambling also purchased a simulation mannequin mother in labor, a young boy, and a newborn baby to go along with the Sim Man 3G mannequin.
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- 3 Better Ways to Market Bariatric Surgery
- HL20: George Halvorson—Expectations for Success
- Top 3 Health Plan Game Changers of 2013