VA to Improve Access to Health Benefits Info
The Department of Veterans Affairs has announced a multi-year initiative called Veterans Relationship Management to improve veterans' access to healthcare and benefits information using technology.
"VRM will transform veterans' interactions with VA by using innovative 21st century technologies," said VA Secretary Eric K. Shinseki. "Veterans will have a better experience when they contact VA for assistance, and our employees will be able to quickly convey accurate, up-to-date information through call centers and the Internet."
By the end of the year, VRM will improve telephone services to enable veterans to reach a call center agent faster. Recording and review of calls will ensure the quality of services provided to veterans. VRM enhancements will be rolled out in six-month increments.
The VRM Internet site will give veterans greater and easier access to information. VA collaborated with the Department of Defense to provide a single sign-on capability for both active service members and veterans. Single sign-on will establish an individual's identity and allow that person to complete transactions without having to re-enter information.
Self-service access through the Internet site is already available in some benefit areas, including military personnel records, VA home loan eligibility certificates, and status information on compensation and pension claims.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Employers Weigh Risks, Benefits of Private Exchanges
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows