Preview: HLM Intelligence Report on E-Health Systems
Healthcare physician leaders and executives mostly support the national initiative to implement electronic health systems, and say they will improve efficiency and quality. But they're also uneasy about the cost, value, and functionality of their own systems, a new HealthLeaders Media Intelligence analysis has found.
A survey of 242 healthcare leaders from hospitals, physician groups, and health plans, detailed in the latest HealthLeaders Media Intelligence Report, E-Health Systems: Opportunities and Obstacles, found that more than 80% of healthcare leaders say the government's push for electronic health systems will improve quality of care industry-wide, and 89% say it will improve quality and safety at their own organizations.
That confidence cools considerably when it comes to the capabilities of their systems. Only about half of hospital and health system leaders are either very satisfied (13%) or somewhat satisfied (41%) with the overall functionalities of their systems. Among physician leaders, the numbers are similar: 16% are strongly satisfied and 44% are somewhat satisfied.
Among the report's other findings:
- 71% of hospital and physician leaders agree that e-health systems will increase efficiency at their own organization—67% said healthcare will become more efficient nationwide
- 54% of hospital and 60% of physician leaders are satisfied with overall functionality of their systems
- 46% of respondents cited lack of financing or resources as the greatest challenge of implementing e-health systems—and about a quarter are still struggling to overcome physician resistance
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Hospitals Likely to Outsource ICD-10 at Launch
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL