ICD-10: It's Later Than You Think
The deadline is nearly two years away, but many healthcare leaders—juggling multiple priorities, such as meaningful use–have yet to adequately focus on ICD-10.
Some "may not totally appreciate the enormity of [the] task, and that might be something that comes back to bite them," says Michelle Mahan, Vice President and CFO, Frederick Memorial Regional Health System, Frederick, MD.
Others understand very well that the transition from ICD-9 will be costly and difficult. The American Medical Association's vote last month to "vigorously work to stop the implementation" of the "onerous" directive may have captured the prevailing mood. But it will do little to halt the inevitable.
Over the last several months HealthLeaders Media has been researching and reporting on leaders' concerns surrounding the transition to ICD-10 code sets:
ICD-10 Proponents Cry Foul
ICD-10 Deadline Postponed, Sebelius Confirms
Intelligence Report: ICD-10 Puts Revenue at Risk
Impact Analysis: ICD-10: Skating on Thin Margins
ICD-10 Is Gonna Cost Me How Much?
10 Ways ICD-10 Will Improve Quality of Care
Haven't Started ICD-10? It May Already Be Too Late
ICD-10: Mandate and Opportunity
Hospital Margins in Jeopardy as 5010, ICD-10 Deadlines Loom
ICD-10 Jangles Financial Leaders' Nerves
ICD-10: Revenue Losses Loom
Still not convinced it's time to get moving? Government Health IT lays out ICD-10's ten-year reign of fear in chilling detail.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Substance Abuse Resurfaces Among Anesthesiologists in Training
- 'Country Doctor of the Year' Embraces Challenges of Rural Medicine