CIOs and CMIOs Speak Their Minds about the Supreme Court Decision
This week, some voices of healthcare CIOs and CMIOs, speaking out about last week’s U.S. Supreme Court decision on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act:
Marc Probst, Chief Information Officer, Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City, Utah
Bottom line is politically I don't like the ACA and the lack of financial responsibility which our country’s leaders have. In the end, the problem of "going broke" just continues to escalate.
HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs
Strategic Solutions for the Readmissions Challenge
Successfully preventing readmissions requires many players to fill the gaps in the care continuum. In this HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs report, we examine how four leading health systems—Griffin Hospital, Parkview Health, Sarasota Memorial HealthCare System, and UPMC Hamot—are moving the needle.
However, that's politics. As for us at Intermountain, the outcome of the Supreme Court ruling doesn't change at all the strategy and efforts we are pursuing. The ability for the government to pay for health care continues to diminish, therefore if we are going to be in a position to provide the high quality of care we believe we should and do it at substantially lower costs, then we need to maintain our focus on our current efficiency and accountability efforts.
As a CIO, there is a huge responsibility to focus on cost saving workflows, better access to data and systems, and of course on using data as a strategic asset for increasing quality and lowering costs. Luckily, that has been a focus at Intermountain for many years. We have a lot to do—but the path we are on is a good one. Regardless of what the politicians do, the problem is economic. We know what it will take to be successful in the future and we know we can succeed.
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- Two-Midnight Rule Will Cost Hospitals Big
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare
- The Hospital of the Future is Not a Hospital
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic