Insurer's App Aims to Lower Healthcare Costs, Securely
iTriage CEO and co-founder Dr. Pete Hudson at the White House
Aetna will allow patients and providers to communicate directly via a mobile application that protects data privacy and indicates when care options are high cost, out of network, or present challenging payment arrangements.
If you have any doubt that leading mobile health apps are about to become a whole lot more important to providers, let Aetna's iTriage set you straight.
Aetna's application developers are preparing to allow patients and providers to directly communicate with each other in a new version of the iTriage app due to hit the streets in the next two months.
That problem has to do with the fact that email is inherently not a secure medium. Due to the constraints of HIPAA, physicians cannot use ordinary email to communicate any protected health information to patients, nor to receive PHI from patients.
Instead, patients must log into secure Web portals to send and receive PHI to doctors. This personal data can be anything from test results, to changes in their treatment, to medical advice.
In the fee-for-service world, this mattered little, because email consultations were not billable events. In an accountable care world, the physician is incentivized to keep the patient healthy, while at the same time keeping costs low, including minimizing office visits, as well as enhancing patient satisfaction.
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Substance Abuse Resurfaces Among Anesthesiologists in Training
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Safety Net Executives Renew Call to Preserve DSH Payments
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT