CHIME: Mostashari Urges Focus on MU Hardship Exemptions
At the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives, former ONC chief Farzad Mostashari stopped short of supporting alterations to the 2014 final rules or deadlines, but suggested that providers determine whether hardship exemptions can postpone Meaningful Use Stage 2 penalties.
Farzad Mostashari, MD, ScM
National Coordinator for Health Information Technology
In his first appearance since leaving his post earlier this month as National Coordinator for Health IT at HHS, Farzad Mostashari has suggested that providers find out if hardship exemptions can postpone Meaningful Use Stage 2 penalties.
"CMS could clarify what constitutes a hardship exemption. You wouldn't get the incentive payment, but you wouldn't get the penalty, one percent of Medicare payment cut either," said Mostashari, speaking at the annual conference of the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) in Scottsdale, Arizona.
The final rule governing Meaningful Use 2014, including Stage 2 requirements for providers entering their third year of attestation, specifies compliance by October 1, 2014 for a 90-day reporting period during that year. The final rule does allow for delayed attestations due to hardship, but CMS clarification "could provide additional flexibility… so that's where I would advise CHIME to look."
CHIME has strongly supported the current timetable for Meaningful Use 2014, but at the same time has asked ONC to provide additional flexibility by delaying the penalty phase.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- New G-Code to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Safety Net Executives Renew Call to Preserve DSH Payments