HIMSS: Providers View IT as a Revenue Generator
Cleveland Clinic is increasing its ROI on the EHR infrastructure it has invested in by working toward becoming, in effect, the new data center for a growing number of other, otherwise non-affiliated, providers.
Traditionally, information technology has been one of healthcare's more expensive cost centers. But for some large players, and even a few smaller ones, that is changing, and at HIMSS this week we are seeing birth of healthcare IT as a revenue center for those providers.
The first clue I received this week was when I was briefed on an announcement between Cleveland Clinic and Dell made at the show in Orlando.
Cleveland Clinic will provide practices and smaller hospitals help with planning, implementing and customizing electronic health record software, as well as training those practices and smaller hospitals.
Growing out of its experience with some regional practices, Cleveland Clinic is now taking it national, and leveraging Dell's HIPAA-compliant cloud to become, in effect, the new data center for a growing number of other, otherwise non-Cleveland Clinic affiliated providers around the U.S.
You've heard of software as a service. Maybe we should call this hospital IT as a service.
"Over the last few years we've had more and more requests for other organizations to help them with their own implementations to offer advice on how to optimize and build strategies to best utilize EHRs," says Mitchel Krieger, MD, associate chief information officer at Cleveland Clinic.
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Power of price: In South FL and the nation, healthcare costs often are shrouded in secrecy
- Hospital mergers may lead to higher prices
- Healthcare data of 1 million NJ patients compromised since 2009
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality