Opinion: Revealing a healthcare secret (the price)
The Surgery Center of Oklahoma is an ambulatory surgical center in Oklahoma City owned by its roughly 40 surgeons and anesthesiologists. What makes it different from every other such facility in America is this: If you need an anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, you will know beforehand — because it's on their Web site — that it costs $6,990 if you self-pay in advance. If you need a tonsillectomy, that's $3,600. Repair of a simple closed nasal fracture: $1,900. These prices are all-inclusive. Keith Smith, the co-founder of the center, said that it had been posting prices for the last 4 of its 16 years.
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- RN Named Chief Patient Experience Officer
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- Medicare Cost, Quality Data Tools Weak, Says GAO
- In PCMH, the 'P' is Not for 'Physician'
- Population Health Pays Off for NY Collaborative
- Six Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- How Simple Data Analytics is Driving Physician Incentives