Powerball Winner Claims Prize, Quits Hospital Job
HealthLeaders Media Staff, August 24, 2017
The winner of the $758 million lottery jackpot called the medical center where she had worked for decades "to tell them I will not be coming back."
The winner of the largest single-ticket jackpot in U.S. lottery history is a 53-year-old woman who has been employed at a Massachusetts healthcare facility working in "patient care" for 32 years, according to the Boston Globe.
- "I work at Mercy Medical Center," Mavis Wanczyk said at a news conference Thursday afternoon. "I have called to tell them I will not be coming back."
- Her role at the medical center has not been identified. Massachusetts public records show no active professional medical licenses under her name.
- Wanczyk won $758.7 million and had the option of receiving annual payments totaling $758.7 million over 29 years or a lump sum of more than $440 million before taxes.
- The amount of the jackpot exceeds the combined net worth of Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner (only $740 million).
- Wanczyk has opted to take a lump sum payout. Here's a breakdown of the tax bill on the winnings from CNBC: