McKesson to Acquire U.S. Oncology for $2.1B
Healthcare information technology giant McKesson Corp. has announced it is scheduled buy US Oncology in a cash deal valued at more than $2.1 billion.
The transaction, which is expected to be finalized by the end of the year, includes the purchase of all outstanding shares of US Oncology, and the assumption of all of the company's outstanding debts.
McKesson, ranked 14th on the FORTUNE 500, said the acquisition of US Oncology will provide oncology customers access to:
- Evidence-based medicine that improves clinical outcomes and enables value-based reimbursement;
- Expanded clinical expertise and research, and personalized medicine offerings;
- Integrated, efficiency-enabling HIT to improve outcomes measurements, reporting, and product and inventory management;
- Practice-management consultation for independent specialists;
- Distribution and supply-chain expertise.
"This strategic acquisition is a logical next step in our commitment to ensure the continued vitality of community oncology, while creating value for our shareholders," said John H. Hammergren, chairman/CEO of McKesson. "The combination of US Oncology and McKesson will enhance our ability to achieve these goals in one of the most important segments in healthcare. Community oncology practices need strategic support that offers not only technology and distribution solutions, but also value-added clinical and reimbursement management services that enable them to provide the highest-quality, most efficient care to their patients. With this acquisition, McKesson will offer a compelling suite of services and solutions to community oncologists and other partners in the rapidly evolving specialty business.?