DRG 312 Reviews Put Providers 'In a Squeeze'
Healthcare providers in some regions are bracing for a twist to DRG 312 : Syncope and collapse have been listed for review by more than one auditor, and at more than one point in the payment process.
DRG 312, the first issue approved for prepayment auditing, was also announced by the Medicare Recovery Audit Contractors (MAC) CIGNA Government Services (CGS) as an issue subject to complex medical review for J15 providers.
Ohio and Kentucky make up the J15 states. Ohio is also one the states in the prepayment review demonstration program. Although CMS stated in a December open door forum that claims subject to prepayment review would be off-limits from future postpayment reviews from MACs and Recovery Auditors, it still remains to be seen how this will be done.
This puts providers in a difficult position, according to Nancy Beckley, MS, MBA, CHC, president, Nancy Beckley & Associates, LLC, in Milwaukee, WI.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer