OCR Undecided on Including BAs in HIPAA Audits
The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) is undecided whether to include business associates (BAs) in its HIPAA-compliance audit plans per a $9.2 million contract it awarded last month.
Susan McAndrew, JD, OCR’s deputy director of health information privacy, says the contractor, KPMG, LLP, will be developing protocols to support business associate audits.
However, “OCR has not yet determined whether it will audit business associates in addition to covered entities during the audits that are anticipated to take place in 2012,” McAndrew says.
KPMG is a consulting firm with a global network of professional firms that provides audit, advisory, and tax services. The contract calls for up to 150 audits of organizations varying in size before December 31, 2012.
McAndrew says the audit program will occur in three steps. OCR will work with KPMG to develop audit protocols and an initial round of audits to field test the program. If these test audits return positive results, OCR will launch a full range of onsite audits and an evaluation process.
OCR awarded Booz Allen Hamilton (the McLean, VA, consultant it originally hired to evaluate and compare different audit methods) a $180,000 contract to identify audit candidates.
BAs are involved in 57 of the 292 breaches affecting 500 or more individuals listed on the OCR website as of Thursday afternoon; that’s about 20%. The top two breaches include BAs (1,900,000 and 1,700,000 patients affected; see details at the end of this story).
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic