U.S. Overpaying for Veterans' Healthcare
The federal government is wasting more than $3.2 billion a year because it is paying twice to provide the same care for veterans, once through capitated rates to Medicare Advantage plans, and again to finance the VA healthcare system, which actually provides the care.
That's according to a report in the Journal of the American Medical Association, which found that the Veterans Healthcare System spent $13 billion—from 1.3 billion in 2004 to $3.2 billion in 2009—providing care for 1.25 million "dual-eligible" vets covered by Medicare Advantage plans.
HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs
The Promise of Healthcare Analytics
Healthcare is rich in data. Yet healthcare lags in using data analytics to learn about the people it serves and to improve its operations and bottom line. Leaders are overcoming structural and cultural hurdles to involve many end users—executives, managers, and clinicians—as well as analysts.
"The Medicare Advantage plan is being paid to provide comprehensive care, but they provided no care (or only partial care), and still are able to pocket the difference," says Kenneth Kizer, MD, one of the study's authors and the former Under Secretary for Health in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs between 1994 and 1999.
Because of their military service, the system allows veterans to choose between receiving care through a Medicare Advantage Plan or through the VA. "They may live far away from the VA, in rural areas, or the VA may have a waiting list for elective surgical procedures," Kizer says. "And since they do have choices, they can utilize what works best for them."
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- Ebola: Health Officials Try to Quell Front Line Fears
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening
- Reducing Readmissions Starts with Better Collaboration
- Partners HealthCare M&A Deal Under Scrutiny
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients