CMS Waiver Answers Safety Net's $64M Question
Last year, Cleveland's MetroHealth, the local safety net system, provided $130 million in care for the uninsured, says John Corlett, vice president of government relations and community affairs. The 731-bed MetroHealth Medical Center, which also has 17 clinic locations in the local area, last year got a $36 million subsidy from the local government, and about $28 million from disproportionate share funding from CMS.
The balance, some $66 million, came from the health system's margin. That's not exactly a drop in the bucket for a system that takes in nearly $800 million in revenue each year.
"So that's how life was before the waiver," says Corlett. "Going forward, we'll enroll up to 30,000 uninsured adults and get paid through this Medicaid waiver."
Fortunately, through work with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and local government officials, life will be different, because the portion of the care burden borne by MetroHealth's margin will be greatly reduced in 2013.
That's because CMS recently approved the launch of MetroHealth Care Plus, essentially a Medicaid waiver demonstration project. It will provide a medical home and health coverage to up to 30,000 uninsured residents of Cuyahoga County, where MetroHealth is located. That designation allows MetroHealth to access $64 million of annual federal Medicaid matching funds that will fill that $66 million hole in the budget quite nicely, according to Corlett. Meanwhile, the anticipated drop in DSH funding over time will be cushioned as well.
- 3 Favorite Nursing Trends of 2013
- Premier: ACOs Poised for Growth
- SGR Bill's Payment Transparency Provision Elicits Concern
- Your Meetings are Wasting Big Money
- Hospital Compare Adds Infection, Stroke, Readmissions Data
- AAFP: 72% of Patients Prefer Physicians to NPs
- 7 Signs Providers Are Opening Up About Bad Healthcare Outcomes
- SGR Repeal Bill Holds Extra Promise for Rural Hospitals
- ICD-10: Minimizing the Financial Hit
- Intelligence Report: Cost-Containment Expertise