CMS Waiver Answers Safety Net's $64M Question
Last year, Cleveland's MetroHealth, the local safety net system, provided $130 million in care for the uninsured, says John Corlett, vice president of government relations and community affairs. The 731-bed MetroHealth Medical Center, which also has 17 clinic locations in the local area, last year got a $36 million subsidy from the local government, and about $28 million from disproportionate share funding from CMS.
The balance, some $66 million, came from the health system's margin. That's not exactly a drop in the bucket for a system that takes in nearly $800 million in revenue each year.
"So that's how life was before the waiver," says Corlett. "Going forward, we'll enroll up to 30,000 uninsured adults and get paid through this Medicaid waiver."
Fortunately, through work with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and local government officials, life will be different, because the portion of the care burden borne by MetroHealth's margin will be greatly reduced in 2013.
That's because CMS recently approved the launch of MetroHealth Care Plus, essentially a Medicaid waiver demonstration project. It will provide a medical home and health coverage to up to 30,000 uninsured residents of Cuyahoga County, where MetroHealth is located. That designation allows MetroHealth to access $64 million of annual federal Medicaid matching funds that will fill that $66 million hole in the budget quite nicely, according to Corlett. Meanwhile, the anticipated drop in DSH funding over time will be cushioned as well.
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- Targeting Self-Insured Populations
- States Without Medicaid Expansion Search for Alternatives
- 'Kafkaesque' Value System Unfairly Penalizes Doctor Pay
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty