Luxury Hospital Facilities Put Patient Experience First
The striking new hospital buildings built by Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Sanford Health in Sioux Falls, and Lurie Children's Hospital, in Chicago exemplify patient-centric design on a big budget. But even hospitals without deep pockets can glean inspiration from them.
Johns Hopkins, Baltimore MD
On May 1 Johns Hopkins officially opened its new 1.6 million-square-foot, $1.1 billion hospital, which features The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center and the Sheikh Zayed Tower.
The facility boasts 560 all-private patient rooms, 33 ORs, adult and pediatric EDs, extensive soundproofing, unique artwork, and healing gardens. Oh, and did I mention the basketball court?
"Our goal with every amenity and carefully designed feature of the new building is to create a welcoming, healing environment for our patients that goes hand in hand with the superior medical care provided by our world-renowned physicians, nurses and other staff," says Ronald R. Peterson, president of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System and executive vice president of Johns Hopkins Medicine.
"In addition, throughout the building are more than 500 paintings and sculptures selected specifically for the hospital from 70 artists around the world. Amenities in the public areas include a gourmet food market and gift shop, a resource library for patients and their families, an outpatient pharmacy, areas for meditation and reflection, and a two-story indoor play area for pediatric patients." View slideshow.
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- 5 Hot Healthcare Ideas from SXSW
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- Rules to Rein in HIX Narrow Networks Could Drive Away Payers