3 Outstanding Breast Cancer Awareness Campaigns
Thanks to a massive push for breast cancer awareness month in recent years, pink is almost as ubiquitous in October as orange. All month, hospitals and health systems across the country have been doing their part to promote early detection by publicizing mammograms, handing out breast-exam shower cards, and sponsoring breast cancer organization walks.
And every year a few truly stand out from the pink pack. These are the three most innovative breast cancer awareness efforts I've seen this month.
Dragon Boat Race for a Cure
For the past four years, St. Rose Dominican Hospitals in Henderson, NV, have sponsored the "Rose Regatta," a now famous dragon boat race on Lake Nevada to raise money for breast cancer research, as well as promoting awareness and the importance of early detection.
If you, like me, aren't familiar with dragon boat racing, it's an ancient tradition that began in China hundreds of years ago. Today, the boats are vividly colorful 40- to 50-foot long racing canoes, decorated with elaborate Chinese designs and carved dragon mastheads.
Each dragon canoe has a crew of 20 paddlers, a drummer to coordinate strokes, and a coxswain to maintain course. Be sure to check out the photos from this year's race.
This year, the event was held on October 13 and drew more than 3,500 attendees and participants, including 68 teams from Nevada, California, Colorado, and Canada.
All proceeds support Dominican's R.E.D. Rose Program that provides clinical breast exams, mammograms, ultrasounds, surgical consultations, biopsies, patient navigation and financial assistance for uninsured and underserved women and men.
With this unique race, Dominican Hospitals has turned a breast cancer awareness fundraiser into a beloved community event that people mark their calendars for. In the world of healthcare events, you can't beat that.
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- How much does that x-ray cost? You can find out in NH
- Malnourishment 'Epidemic' Plagues Hospitals? Really?
- Hospitals and doctors fail patients by passing the buck on insurance rules