5 Social Media Resolutions for Hospitals
In 2013 the new millennium officially became a teenager. And like all teenagers, it is seriously addicted to social media. Really, mom and dad should consider limiting its data plan.
Hospitals, however, are still playing catch up in the social media space. There are plenty of excuses, from staffing problems to technical ditziness. But none is acceptable anymore. MySpace, the granddaddy of social media, was created ten years ago. It's time the healthcare industry got with it.
An infographic by Demi & Cooper Advertising and DC Interactive Group highlights just where hospitals stand in the social space. Only 26% use social media. No, that is not a typo—just one-quarter of hospitals in the US use any type of social media. Of those,
- 84% are on Facebook
- 64% are on Twitter
- 46% are on YouTube
- 12% blog
So that's where we stand. Now let's look at healthcare consumers.
About one-third of consumers use social sites for health-related matters. And these patients are sharing their experiences, with 44% of respondents saying they were likely or very likely to share a positive experience they had with a hospital.
More notably, 40% said they were likely or very likely to share a negative experience they had with a hospital.
So like it or not, patients are talking about your organization on social media sites. It's a hospital marketer's duty to be there to listen, share successes, and respond to complaints. Let's take a tip from the newly pimple-faced millennium and get social.
- $6.4B Henry Ford, Beaumont Merger Failed on Cultural Hurdles
- Don't Let Nurses Sink Your Bottom Line
- Fortunately, Angelina Jolie Isn't On Medicare
- Hospitals Profit On Bloodstream Infections
- Less Blood Testing for Some Surgeries Safe, Cost Effective
- How Chargemaster Data May Affect Hospital Revenue
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- House Lawmakers Grill CMS Over Health Exchange Navigators
- Lower ED Margins Demand a Better Strategy
- ED Physicians Key to Half of Hospital Admissions