Can This Be the Healthiest Place in America?
This is a population health strategy: A plan years in the making and backed by the local medical center may make Cheshire County, NH, the healthiest community in the nation by 2020.
"Almost without interruption we had the mountain in sight before us,"-- Henry David Thoreau
wrote about 3,165-foot Mt. Monadnock in New Hampshire, a mountain that inspired him, spiritually and physically.
At the base of Mt. Monadnock where the air and water are still clear and cool , thousands of residents, with physician and hospital support, are thinking about different mountain to climb. Their goal is to become the healthiest area in America.
Do you want to talk about population health planning? Cheshire County, NH, is exploring it big time, far beyond the four walls of its lone hospital and physician offices.
The 169-bed Cheshire Medical Center/ Dartmouth Hitchcock Keene, hospital and primary care and multispecialty clinic has sparked an initiative, dubbed Healthy Monadnock, to become the healthiest community in the nation by 2020. Cheshire County has 23 towns and is located in the southwestern corner of the state. According to the census, the county has 76,851 residents within its 729 square miles.
It's no joke. There is a concerted effort to make the Monadnock area the healthiest in the nation. The plan, years in the making, includes government and civic policy changes that officials hope will prompt its community organizations, schools, workplaces and municipalities to make healthy choices about how they eat, how they exercise, and generally take care of themselves.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model