A Hospital Chief's Auld Lang Syne for 2013
The holiday spirit came with the muse, albeit a light-hearted version, for my last column of 2012. I hope you can hear Auld Lang Syne as you read and chuckle. Here's hoping for even higher quality healthcare in 2013.
Let us lament our Mrs. Jones for her excessive readmissions past,
For she, and others like her, now cost our hospital cash!
Or safety scores from The Leapfrog Group that left our wards bereft,
Especially since the headlines screamed: "This hospital got an F."
We'll boost our quality scores this year and be acute care heroes,
We'll learn from all our past mistakes, and cut our HACs to zeros.
Should we dress down our doctors now, who threw their tantrums loud,
When we suggested variation, should not be, so much, allowed?
Or because some ignored those checklists, albeit they be many,
When failure to do a "time out," excised Mr. Smith's wrong kidney.
We'll lift our quality scores this year and be acute care heroes.
We'll learn from all our past mistakes, and reduce our CLABSIs to zeros.
Know we not our foreign object counts, of sponges, pads, guide wires,
And make sure we clear the cautery tool, lest we set someone afire.
Woe is us for long ED waits, and boarding in the halls,
Or when our nurses weren't looking, some patients suffered falls.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers