Healtheway HIE Announces Founding Members
Operating as a non-profit, public-private partnership, Healtheway supports the eHealth Exchange, a health information exchange, serving thousands of providers and millions of patients. Its founding members include health systems, technology vendors, and the American Medical Association.
Healtheway, Inc. the non-profit, public-private partnership that operationally supports the eHealth Exchange (formerly known as the Nationwide Health Information Network Exchange) Wednesday announced its nine founding organizations. Among them is Epic Systems Inc., the dominant supplier of electronic health record software to hospitals.
The organizations will supplement the involvement of the federal government that has coalesced around the eHealth Exchange. Healtheway's nine founding members are:
- The American Medical Association
- Epic Systems Corp.
- ICA, maker of the CareAlign interoperability and informatics software platform
- Kaiser Permanente
- MedVirginia, the first HIE to go live on the eHealth Exchange
- Mirth Corporation, which powers private HIEs
- The New York eHealth Collaborative (NYeC)
- Orion Health, another HIE technology developer
- The Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI)
The founding members' activities are meant to supplement the work of the Healtheway board of directors. Founding members will be charged with exploring new health IT opportunities and providing recommendations to the board regarding issues that would be of value to the full Healtheway community.
"Today's announcement reinforces our commitment to establishing a secure, interoperable nationwide health information exchange network that is capable of overcoming many of the challenging issues facing health information exchange today," said Michael Matthews, Healtheway Board Chair and founding member, and CEO of MedVirginia.
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- Taming Time and Moving Healthcare Data
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare
- HL20: Sam Foote, MD—The Courage to Speak Up
- HL20: Derek Angus, MD—An Intense Focus on Care