ONC's Mostashari Announces Departure
No clear reason or firm date was given for Farzad Mostashari's plan to exit the Office of the National Coordinator. His unexpected move comes at a critical time as HHS grapples with complex issues over the implementation of Meaningful Use Stage 2.
Farzad Mostashari, MD, ScM
National Coordinator for Health Information Technology
The physician leading the federal government's sweeping and aggressive efforts to implement healthcare information technology has announced that he will leave the job this fall.
After four years at the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology and leading the office since 2011, Farzad Mostashari, MD, ScM, made the unexpected announcement Tuesday in a letter to colleagues.
"It is difficult for me to announce that I am leaving. I don't know what I will be doing after I leave public service, but be assured that I will be by your side as we continue to battle for healthcare transformation, cheering you on," Mostashari wrote.
He declined to say why he was leaving and did not say what he planned to do after leaving the office. Officials at HHS declined to comment on the reasons for his departure.
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius issued a statement praising Mostashari's tenure as a "time of great accomplishment."
"Farzad has been an important advisor to me and many of us across the Department. His expertise, enthusiasm and commitment to innovation and health IT will surely be missed. In the short term, he will continue to serve in this role while a search is underway for a replacement," Sebelius said.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic