Rural CEOs Concerned about Doc Recruitment, Controlling Costs Not So Much
These are just a few of the dozens of insightful findings gathered from this year's survey. Here are a handful more:
- Most community and rural CEOs disapprove of the job President Barack Obama, Congressional Democrats and Republicans, and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius are doing with respect to healthcare reform. [See Question 7.]
- While community and rural CEOs largely disapprove of the job health plan leadership, drug makers, and device makers are doing regarding healthcare reform, they approve of the hospital industry leadership, industry lobbyists/associations, and the public.
- Only 30% of community and rural CEOs believe layoffs and staff reductions are effective in dealing with the economic crisis, which is lower than 43% of non-rural CEOs. Twenty-nine percent said that strategy has actually been ineffective, compared to slightly more than the 21% of non-rural CEOs. [See Question 13.]
- Instead, community and rural CEOs have had greater success with supply chain management improvements (82% effective), revenue cycle enhancements (76% effective), physician alignment (65% effective), emphasize high-margin services (61% effective), and cut capital spending (59% effective).
For a glimpse at other findings such as the top healthcare cost drivers [Question 17], the service lines with the most potential [Question 22], the personnel issues facing community and rural organizations [Question 27], and the total annual salary and bonus compensation packages for CEOs [Question 28] check out the full survey.
Explore these results and more in this year's survey, but I must warn you, once you start reading, analyzing, and comparing stakeholder responses, you won't be able to stop.
Note: You can sign up to receive HealthLeaders Media Community and Rural Hospital Weekly, a free weekly e-newsletter that provides news and information tailored to the specific needs of community hospitals.
Les Masterson is an editor for HealthLeaders Media.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- Small Doesn't Mean Doomed