Top 5 Holiday Gifts for Physicians
No one says trying to collect payments upfront will be easy, but there are methods and techniques that can be applied to collecting a significant percentage of outstanding revenue, while still preserving positive relationships with patients. And for hospital CFOs with a taste for analytics, there are data mining and predictive modeling software tools that can plug revenue leaks and uncover millions in missed charges.
3. An ACO Primer and Roadmap
I'll be blunt: No one really knows what an accountable care organization is. Great minds have a pretty good idea, but ACOs don't exist yet. Therein lies the trouble. We know that ACOs will involve payment reform of some sort, a shift that will leave the current fee-for-service model in the dust. Individual physicians, though they will be central to the ACO, are experiencing some anxiety. What is needed is clarity and direction.
4. More Help From Nurses
Don't get me wrong. They work hard. But nurses could be doing more, especially in community and rural health settings. With the proper training, nurse practioners could take on some of the tasks of primary care providers. And certified nurse anesthetists can safely ease patient loads even further. A California Superior Court judge last month rejected a petition filed by two medical groups who said that allowing unsupervised advanced practice nurses to administer anesthesia puts patients at risk. Stop fighting, and let these professionals contribute to their highest ability.
5. An iPad
Everything you've heard is true. Get one. Give one.
Cora Nucci is the Senior Online Editor for HealthLeaders Media.
- $6.4B Henry Ford, Beaumont Merger Failed on Cultural Hurdles
- Don't Let Nurses Sink Your Bottom Line
- Hospitals Profit On Bloodstream Infections
- Fortunately, Angelina Jolie Isn't On Medicare
- Less Blood Testing for Some Surgeries Safe, Cost Effective
- Lower ED Margins Demand a Better Strategy
- How Chargemaster Data May Affect Hospital Revenue
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- House Lawmakers Grill CMS Over Health Exchange Navigators
- ED Physicians Key to Half of Hospital Admissions