CDC Reports Target Time-Strapped Healthcare Leaders
"In rural communities, what works is just good old word of mouth," Weaver said. "If you find an opinion leader in the community—somebody who may work at the hospital, who may be connected to the hospital in some way that others look up to—they'll get the message."
Weaver also said she tried to pepper the reports with tips and takeaways from the subject matter experts that she interviewed. For example, she included in the report "Cultural Insights – Communication with Hispanic/Latinos" is practical information about interacting with these patients.
"When you're first talking with them in the healthcare setting, they don't like to be touched," she said. "It's little things like that."
There are four reports available now and several others in the clearance and development phases, with the goal of releasing new reports over the next several months. Additional topics will include ones that cover communicating with Asian Americans and African Americans, as well as several about how to use the principles of persuasion and one about people living in different geographical areas.
Weaver said that in surveys that she's conducted, public health professionals specifically mentioned that resources like these would be very helpful to them, so she hopes that these reports will help hospital executives and others get information they need without having to also go to other resources.
"I really just want them to be useful," she said.
Alexandra Wilson Pecci is a managing editor for HealthLeaders Media.
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- HL20: George Halvorson—Expectations for Success
- 3 Better Ways to Market Bariatric Surgery
- Top 3 Health Plan Game Changers of 2013