Banner Health, AZ Blues Partner in Medicare Health Plan
The joint venture capitalizes on the name recognition of Banner Health and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona in the state. The addition of the Medicare Advantage product positions the Blues plan to develop more lifetime members who maintain their healthcare coverage with the company.
Although Banner Health will maintain a governance position, the joint venture places much of the day-to-day operations of the health plan into the experienced hands of BCBSAZ to take advantage of quality improvement and care coordination programs already in place for Blues members. Banner Health's hospitals and physicians will provide the exclusive network for the BCBSAZ Advantage.
Plans to expand the market for BCBSAZ Advantage beyond Maricopa and Pinal counties are "undetermined," Chuck Lehn, vice president of managed care for Banner Health, tells HealthLeaders Media. "We would like to first focus on high quality service for our existing and new members."
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening