Business Roundup: Independent Hospitals Disappearing in OH
In a media release announcing the acquisition, UH said it would bring investments and new services as a major benefit to the agreement including expanding the presence of UH Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital that provides neonatal care at Parma Hospital. UH Case Medical Center, an academic medical center, will provide clinical research, and new technology and other innovations.
"Parma Hospital is a vital anchor institution in the communities that they serve," Thomas F. Zenty III, UH's CEO said in a media release. "We are honored to have the opportunity to support and share in their mission to provide the highest quality patient-centered care and to join with them and their physicians in advancing the vision of value-driven, affordable care."
Parma employs 2,000 people and has more than 500 physicians on its medical staff, for a service area that extends beyond its six founding cities of Parma, Parma Heights, Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Seven Hills and North Royalton.
UH employs 18,000 people and its health system includes 10 hospitals and 20 outpatient health centers.
Deis says he isn't sure what his role will be when the deal is finalized later this year or if he will stay on as part of the new hospital management. "That is not going to be my decision, but I would hope that would be the case," he says.
Still, the adjustment will take some getting used to. "Once you are at the top of the organization, whatever sized organization, it is a little bit tough to adjust to not being the last say in things," he says.
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- Top Reason for Nurse Turnover: Managers
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality
- House OKs Cassidy's 'keep your plan' bill
- How MA plans to re-enroll 450,000 residents in health insurance
- Medicare is pricier in unhealthy states, study says
- Behind the CVS Health Rebranding Strategy
- CMS Pitches Medicare Appeals Deal to Hospitals