OCR Undecided on Including BAs in HIPAA Audits
The website list is required by HITECH and has been live since February of 2010, dating back to breaches that occurred on or after September 22, 2009.
Phyllis A. Patrick, MBA, FACHE, CHC, of Phyllis A. Patrick & Associates LLC in Purchase, NY, says she “most definitely would encourage OCR to audit BAs, especially those of high priority/potential risk to the privacy and security of confidential information in that they work with the covered entity’s PHI and confidential information on a regular basis.”
Patrick cites examples such as IT vendors, billing companies, coding companies, accounting firms, and disposal companies (media, shredding, etc.).
Kate Borten, CISM, CISSP, president of The Marblehead Group in Marblehead, MA, says BAs play a “key role” in healthcare and should be looped in to OCR audits.
“Given the key role that many BAs play in healthcare—as well as the vast amount of PHI entrusted to BAs—it is very important that OCR also audit them,” Borten says.
Frank Ruelas, director of compliance and risk management at Maryvale Hospital and principal of HIPAA College in Casa Grande, AZ, says OCR should audit BAs in the next round and focus on covered entities now.
“In my mind, OCR auditing BAs is like climbing a falling tree: There may be some activity in trying to get somewhere, but at the end of the day, one really hasn't gained any ground,” Ruelas says. “Historically, BAs have taken their direction from their client covered entities, so by OCR focusing on covered entities, I am confident any BA-related findings will be shared between the covered entity and the BAs it contracts with.”
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations