6 Ways to Reduce Physician Turnover
"That was unacceptable. We did a cost of turnover analysis and we were losing a lot of money," he says. The Association of American Medical Colleges estimates organizations lose $115,000 when a general practitioner leaves and $200,000 for a specialist. However, Larson adds, "If you calculate the patients that leave when a physician does and other hard and soft costs, it can be as much as a $1.2 million loss to the organization for one provider."
For Baystate, "the future success of the organization meant we needed to make a paradigm shift in how we approached retention," he says.
First, Baystate pulled together physician leaders and practice managers at a retreat. The 20 attendees became the organization's retention task force. The group created six processes and guidelines for recruiting and retaining physicians. A major emphasis of these strategies was to make providers feel valued and recognized.
- Hire for cultural fit—Behavioral-event questions, which ask interviewees how they dealt with difficult situations, were added to the interview process to gauge how a candidate's personality and attitudes would fit within the department and organization.
- Optimize on-boarding practices—The task force developed a pre-hire to post-hire checklist to ensure that new employees were guided through the first few months at the organization. Check-in and introduction meetings were made mandatory for managers.
- Establish a buddy program—Rather than use a senior member of the team as a mentor, the task force decided that a buddy fit the culture of the organization better. This could be any member of the physician staff.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Hospitals Likely to Outsource ICD-10 at Launch
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts