Immediate Jeopardy for PA Medical Center
Saint Catherine's problems stem from a complaint survey conducted in March on behalf of CMS by the state Department of Public Health. The reason for the survey is unknown, but a complaint survey can originate from several sources, including patients or their families.
Although the survey has not yet been publically released, according to the CMS letter, the deficiencies fall into five broad categories: radiologic services, physical environment, surgical services, compliance with laws, and governing body.
Surgical Services Supplies Lacking
A March 23 letter to Knapp from the state department of health provides some additional insight into the deficiencies. It mentions that the facility lacks the "proper equipment and supplies" to provide surgical services.
"Until you can provide the department with evidence that the operating room equipment has been properly inspected, there is sufficient equipment, and there are adequate supplies, the ban on admissions also applies to your surgical services department."
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers