HCAHPS Scores Show Wide Variation
Westlake is one of about 100 hospitals around the country that self-administer their own surveys rather than hire vendor such as NRC Picker or Press Ganey, according to Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services spokeswoman Ellen Griffith Cohen. A hospital employee calls patients after their discharge, asks them survey questions and fills out the forms for them. Since CMS conducts oversight of the survey process from training to double checking response forms, self-administration shouldn't make a difference in the scores, she says.
The hospital with the second highest score was 17-bed Surgical Hospital of Southwoods in Youngstown, OH, with 97% of patient responders saying they would definitely recommend it.
And 99-bed Oklahoma Heart Hospital in Oklahoma City, OK, was third, with 96% of respondents saying they would recommend it. Oklahoma Heart tied with 32-bed Heart Hospital of Lafayette, LA.
On the other side of the scorecard for hospitals with 300 or more responses, patients at 326-bed Jackson Park Hospital in Chicago seem to be the least pleased with their care, with only 36% saying they would definitely recommend the hospital and 29% of patients saying they definitely would not or probably would not recommend.
Other survey responses from Jackson Park's patients were similarly negative. For example:
- 35% gave the hospital a high ranking of 9 or 10;
- 53% said the room was always clean (24% said it was never or sometimes clean);
- 52% and 68%, respectively, said nurses and doctors communicated well.
- 55% said their pain was always well-controlled.
- Ebola: Health Officials Try to Quell Front Line Fears
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- Reducing Readmissions Starts with Better Collaboration
- Ebola: A New Normal in Dallas
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening
- Partners HealthCare M&A Deal Under Scrutiny
- How Educated Nurses Save Money
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars