Cigna Plans Aggressive Expansion for ACO-like Program
CAC contracts include Palo Alto Medical Foundation (California), New West Physicians Group (Denver), Mount Carmel Health Partners (Columbus, Ohio), and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Clinic (New Hampshire), and Medical Clinic of North Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth).
The aggressive expansion schedule reflects competition?Aetna is also committed to a nationwide ACO network as well as the promising results delivered by Cigna's CACs so far.
The physician-focused CAC model involves large primary care or multispecialty physician groups, and independent physician associations, as well as some integrated delivery systems (IDS) and physician-hospital organizations (PHO). Even when an IDS or PHO is involved in a CAC, the physician is still the focus because "physicians hold the power of the order pen," Salmon says.
Participating physician groups each have at least 10,000 Cigna members in their practice. Salmon explains that measuring total medical costs and quality parameters is difficult and can be unreliable for smaller populations.
- $6.4B Henry Ford, Beaumont Merger Failed on Cultural Hurdles
- How Chargemaster Data May Affect Hospital Revenue
- House Lawmakers Grill CMS Over Health Exchange Navigators
- Fortunately, Angelina Jolie Isn't On Medicare
- ED Physicians Key to Half of Hospital Admissions
- Don't Let Nurses Sink Your Bottom Line
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- Insurer's App Aims to Lower Healthcare Costs, Securely
- Uncompensated Care Faces a Double Hit in Some States
- 69% of Employers Plan to Offer Healthcare Coverage After 2014