Cigna Plans Aggressive Expansion for ACO-like Program
CAC contracts include Palo Alto Medical Foundation (California), New West Physicians Group (Denver), Mount Carmel Health Partners (Columbus, Ohio), and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Clinic (New Hampshire), and Medical Clinic of North Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth).
The aggressive expansion schedule reflects competition?Aetna is also committed to a nationwide ACO network as well as the promising results delivered by Cigna's CACs so far.
The physician-focused CAC model involves large primary care or multispecialty physician groups, and independent physician associations, as well as some integrated delivery systems (IDS) and physician-hospital organizations (PHO). Even when an IDS or PHO is involved in a CAC, the physician is still the focus because "physicians hold the power of the order pen," Salmon says.
Participating physician groups each have at least 10,000 Cigna members in their practice. Salmon explains that measuring total medical costs and quality parameters is difficult and can be unreliable for smaller populations.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic