Hospital Execs Forecast Higher IT Spending
Another trend identified in the survey is the increasing investment hospitals are making in their IT infrastructures. Nearly 43% of respondents say their organization will make its biggest capital investment in healthcare information technology and telecommunications in 2013, up 21% from two years ago.
"Many health systems have invested in EHRs that are critical to patient care, but they're only one of dozens of needed IT assets. They weren't created to support and track the seamless transitions of care from one setting to another or facilitate intra-team communications—functions [that are] central to accountable, patient-centric care," Alkire says.
With the shift to value-based reimbursements, healthcare providers are investing in the IT necessary to improve population health management, Alkire says.
"Providers are increasingly looking at IT that facilitates predictive capabilities and the intelligence to support action to better care for the populations they serve. A comprehensive population health suite of technologies helps providers manage patient care more efficiently, with a better understanding of total cost and outcomes… This allows providers to better support emerging care delivery and risk management models such as ACOs that are reimbursed based on quality and cost overall."
Despite the growing investments in HIT, however, 32% of survey respondents report that they are still unable to share data across the continuum of care.
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Care Coordination Tough to Define, Measure
- CDC Warns of Antibiotic Overuse in Hospitals
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- HIMSS: Software Bugs, Shifting Alliances Unsettling for CIOs
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- SCOTUS Review of NC Board Case 'A Very Big Deal' to Providers
- AHRQ: Surgical Admissions Bring 48% of Hospital Revenue
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT