House Lawmakers Grill CMS Over Health Exchange Navigators
He went on to note that as part of "Obamacare, the IRS is building the largest personal information data hub that the federal government has ever attempted."
On the Democratic side reaction was swift and pointed. "Until recently I thought that the difference between us and a Banana Republic was that in this country once a law is passed or the Supreme Court has spoken, the law was the law even when our side lost," said Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC).
"Republicans are still fighting the Affordable Care Act as if it is not the law of the land… Today's hearing is merely an effort to continue to obstruct the law and the right of citizens to health insurance."
Amid the posturing on both sides of the aisle, the sole witness, Gary Cohen, deputy administrator and director for the Center of Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid, soldiered on. His five-minute statement focused entirely on how navigators are expected to help millions of uninsured make their way through the complicated health insurance market.
While the marketplaces hold the promise of being places where consumers will be able to easily compare costs, benefits, and cost-sharing to select a plan that is right for them, Cohen stated that "ensuring that consumers and businesses participate in the marketplaces requires that they learn about the benefits that these marketplaces have to offer and that they get the help they need to take advantage of those benefits. This is a significant undertaking. We know quite a bit about the uninsured American we need to reach: many have never had health insurance, so the transaction of selecting, applying, and enrolling in healthcare coverage will be unfamiliar…20% have not completed high school. To effectively reach these populations…information must be provided by people connected to the community in an appropriate manner."
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Aligning Executive Compensation with Provider Mission
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Nurse Ethics Comes to a Head at Guantanamo Bay
- In Lakeport, CA, a Population Health Laboratory is Born
- 6 Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health