Healthcare Costs 'An Abomination' Says Senate Finance Committee Chair
The other three witnesses pressed on and commented on a broad range of pricing and healthcare transparency issues. They were:
- Suzanne F. Delbanco, PhD, executive director of Catalyst for Payment Reform, a non-profit company that works on behalf of large employers and public healthcare purchasers.
- Giovanni Colella, MD, CEO of Castlight Health, which provides healthcare cost and quality information to employers.
- Paul Ginsburg, PhD, president of the Center for Studying Health System Change and research director at the National Institute for Healthcare Reform.
While there was general agreement that price and quality transparency will help consumers more wisely spend their healthcare dollars, there was considerable handwringing over the role transparency can play in resolving the high cost of healthcare.
"I am concerned that policy makers have focused too much concern on the amount of information available rather than the reliability and usefulness of that information," stated Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), ranking member of the committee.
The discussion between the panelists and Senate committee members was framed around several broad issues. As is typical of these hearings there were a lot of questions and dearth of specific recommendations:
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- Taming Time and Moving Healthcare Data
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare
- HL20: Sam Foote, MD—The Courage to Speak Up
- HL20: Derek Angus, MD—An Intense Focus on Care