How Should You Discuss Medical Bills with Patients?
"Every environment is a little different, but if the industry can rally around a set of common ways to go about having these conversations, it will be a step toward making it more understandable for patients," he adds.
Outlined in the new protocols are guidelines for:
- Emergency department interactions. This best practice provides the needed guidelines for dealing with financial interactions with patients who present in the emergency department.
- Time of service (outside the ED) interactions. This set of best practices provides the needed guidelines for handling financial interactions with patients that take place at the time of service, outside the ED.
- Advance of service interactions. This set of best practices provides the needed guidelines for managing the most sensitive financial interactions with patients that take place in advance of service.
- Best practices for all patient financial interactions. This overarching set of best practices provides the needed guidelines to help provider organizations handle the most sensitive financial interactions with patients.
- Measurement criteria. These criteria were developed to guide organizations in the evaluation of their staff training, use of technology and metrics, and compliance with patient financial best practices.
Fifer says providers are likely to follow these guidelines because adherence will lead to increased patient satisfaction if "we can make the process more understandable. People may not like the level of their deductible, but if they understand it early in the process, there will be higher patient satisfaction."
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Cleveland Clinic Partners with North Shore-LIJ for Heart Care