CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
According to a CMS fact sheet, the chronic care management fees will compensate providers for services that include "the development, revision, and implementation of a plan of care; communication with the patient, caregivers, and other treating health professionals; and medication management."
As previously indicated in the summer's proposed rule, CMS will, starting Jan. 1, 2014, allow physicians to receive a small pay upgrade for reporting quality measures if they participate in a qualifying clinical data registry. According to CMS, "physicians and other eligible professionals may report a measure once to receive credit in all quality reporting programs in which that measure is used."
The rule also specified that clinical quality data for physician groups who report certain quality data will be publicly reported on Physician Compare in 2014.
The new rule also reflects pay hikes for psychiatrists (6%) and non-physician psychologists and clinical social work providers (8% each), starting Jan. 1, 2014. Chiropractors are big winners in the new pay scale, with a pay increase of 12%.
Providers incurring pay cuts include pathologists (-6%), rheumatologists (-4%), interventional pain management specialists (-4%), and allergists/immunologists (-3%). Practitioners associated with diagnostic testing facilities also will receive a pay cut of 11%, while those affiliated with independent laboratories will receive a reduction of 5%.
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- 3 Insider Tips on Cutting Costs without Strangling Growth
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- A Fresh Look at End-of-Life Care
- Roundtable: To Arrest HAIs, Culture Trumps Campaigns
- Heart Attack Patient Costs Skyrocket Beyond 30 Days
- 3 in 4 Patients Want E-mail Consultations
- ACGME Chief Sees 'Huge' Risk of Error in Proposed Assistant Physician Licensure