4 Ways to Thrive in the New Payment Environment
To improve its clinical documentation and protect the revenue cycle, VHC has worked to integrate its finance and clinical teams.
"We have a couple of people who work up on the units, and they will work with physicians to show them what to look for and train them on the spot, and that is what works best," Norman says.
This training effort will be more important than ever as ICD-10 is implemented in October, she notes. "We're going to put some more oomph into [training] this year with ICD-10 coming up. We'll be training physicians by their specialty rather than in broad brushes. It will be specific to what they need to know, and it allows us to get in front of them in general for training, which also helps them in their own billing and revenue."
Additionally, VHC is in the process now of expanding its revenue cycle integration by moving its large employed physicians group to one billing platform.
"They are on varying systems and varying approaches, and they are in the process of a major upgrade that will put them all on one system and one approach… While there is a lot of short-term pain, there is a lot of long-term gain in helping that revenue cycle go a lot more smoothly," Norman says.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- Why single payer died in VT