4 Ways to Thrive in the New Payment Environment
To improve its clinical documentation and protect the revenue cycle, VHC has worked to integrate its finance and clinical teams.
"We have a couple of people who work up on the units, and they will work with physicians to show them what to look for and train them on the spot, and that is what works best," Norman says.
This training effort will be more important than ever as ICD-10 is implemented in October, she notes. "We're going to put some more oomph into [training] this year with ICD-10 coming up. We'll be training physicians by their specialty rather than in broad brushes. It will be specific to what they need to know, and it allows us to get in front of them in general for training, which also helps them in their own billing and revenue."
Additionally, VHC is in the process now of expanding its revenue cycle integration by moving its large employed physicians group to one billing platform.
"They are on varying systems and varying approaches, and they are in the process of a major upgrade that will put them all on one system and one approach… While there is a lot of short-term pain, there is a lot of long-term gain in helping that revenue cycle go a lot more smoothly," Norman says.
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- How much does that x-ray cost? You can find out in NH
- When a hospital closes
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Administration: 7.3M now enrolled in Obamacare
- US health system among least efficient before Obamacare