What are Health Plan Executives Thinking?
Some of the other interesting results from the health plan survey included:
- Though a slight majority believed consumer-directed health plans both saved health plans money and empowered consumers, the remaining respondents did not believe the plans empowered consumers and nearly a fifth said CDHPs didn't save money for health plans. This meant that nearly half of health plan respondents were not sold on consumer-directed plans—though at the same time nearly half of health plans said they were the best hope for healthcare. What will this year's respondents say?
- Health plan leaders supported population health management in the 2009 survey. More than 40% of respondents said population health saved money and improved outcomes in some cases, depending on the disease state, and another 38% said population health saved money and improved health outcomes in all cases. Less than 5% of respondents didn't think it saved money or improved health outcomes.
This year, we have kept most of the benchmark questions and added a few more on topics, including the erosion of the employer-based market and the growth of the individual market, as well as questions about health reform efforts and the economy.
I'm looking forward to seeing what health insurance leaders think—as well as comparing the benchmarking questions to see where there is agreement and disagreement. HealthLeaders Media will provide analysis of the results in the February 2010 issue of the magazine and I will also comment on the results in my columns.
Health leaders have until Oct. 28—next Wednesday—to respond to the 15-minute survey. Please take the time to go to the survey and let the larger health industry know what you think about these pressing issues.
Les Masterson is an editor for HealthLeaders Media.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers