CMS to Perform Rate Reviews in 10 States
In addition to Idaho and Montana, CMS will handle reviews in the individual and small group market for Alabama, Arizona, Louisiana, Missouri and Wyoming. It will also handle reviews in the small group market for Iowa, Pennsylvania and Virginia; those states will handle their own rate reviews for the individual market.
A CMS spokesperson said the agency will continue to work with the 10 states to align their rate review efforts with ACA regulations, which call for rate increases of 10% or more to be reviewed. Insurers must publically disclose the increases and justify the request to raise premiums.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Healthcare Leaders Seek Strategic Sweet Spot
- 3 Reasons Wellness Programs Fail
- CMS Issues Health Insurance Exchange Proposed Rules
- Patients Shoulder Nearly 25% of Medical Bills
- ACOs Widespread, Yet Challenged
- MGMA: Physician Compensation Increasingly Based on Quality Measures
- Healthcare Costs 'An Abomination' Says Senate Finance Committee Chair
- 6 CNO-to-CEO Strategies
- Healthcare Consolidation: M&A Not the Only Way
- PwC: Pace of Rising Medical Costs Slowing