Insurers Eye Medicare Advantage Acquisitions
Also, the coding changes that will be implemented for hospital reimbursements beginning in 2013 will require costly investments in IT that will be challenging for smaller firms to afford. Almost half (46%) of healthcare leaders surveyed by HealthLeaders Media anticipate revenue loss as a result of implementing the ICD-10 coding directive.
Here's a look at three recent Medicare Advantage acquisitions and what they mean for the healthcare market:
Humana and Arcadian Management Services
Humana announced on August 25 that it will acquire Arcadian Management Services, an Oakland, Calif.-based Medicare Advantage HMO with members in 15 states. James explained that the acquisition will help Humana expand its geographic footprint in states like Arkansas where it has only a small Medicare Advantage presence and strengthen Humana's position in Texas, which has a large Medicare market.
A Bernstein Research report on the acquisition revealed that Humana was one of 10 health plans and private equity firms, including UnitedHealthcare, HealthSpring and Universal American Corp., that made a bid for Arcadia and its 64,000 Medicare Advantage members. Humana already has 1.6 million individual Medicare Advantage members.
No financial details were disclosed, but Bernstein values the deal at $150 million. The transaction is subject to federal and state regulatory approvals and is expected to close late in 2011.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal