The 20 recommendations for the federal government include:
- Expand value-based payments in Medicare.
- Make care coordination available to all Medicare beneficiaries.
- Ensure that government payment policies recognize the value of primary care.
- Align federal delivery system reform initiatives with private sector best practices to promote primary care.
- Expand government initiatives to reduce healthcare disparities.
- Promote safe deliveries and improve maternal care.
Kenneth Thorpe, PhD, a professor and chair of the department of health policy & management at Emory University in Atlanta, who produced the program's economic analysis, said the BCBSA program stresses proven actions. "I have pilot fatigue. We don't need another pilot where we wait 12 to 15 years for the results. We know what works and we need to do it now."
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.